This position has been filled. We are no longer accepting applications.
SITE MANAGER/ CHESTER INN MUSEUM
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Site Manager is responsible for all aspects of visitor relations and for the inventory of the Chester Inn State Historic Site & Museum collections, including the update in PastPerfect of items relocated from museum storage or the JWC History Museum to the Chester Inn. Additionally the Site Manager is the point person for Chester Inn collections, management and care of the collections, establishment and maintenance of proper collections record keeping, and the accessing/cataloging/inventorying/monitoring of any and all additions to those collections. Additionally, the Site Manager is responsible for collection research, exhibit planning, and coordinates with the Executive Director and museum personnel with subject expertise on the development and initiation of educational and outreach programs for the museum, including traveling exhibits that may be exhibited in the Chester Inn Museum. The Site Manager shall advise the Executive Director on the current state of the collection and shall inform and advise the Board of Trustees regarding conservation needs including environmental conditions, storage, feasibility of exhibition or collections movement, and direct care of the artifacts. The Site Manager will provide appropriate training for volunteer docents and coordinate scheduling the volunteers for museum shifts. The Site Manager will be responsible for cleaning the museum and for preparing the space to take part in Town of Jonesborough events. The Site Manager will create educational programs and materials based around the artifacts in the museum. These programs and materials will be appropriate for various grade levels. Programs should be designed for school groups and general visitors alike.
The Site Manager shall possess an understanding of the use of material culture to interpret history.
The Site Manager shall have good working relations with the general public. The Site Manager is the first face that many people interact with when visiting Jonesborough, TN.
This job involves weekend working hours and working hours that extend after 5:00 pm.
Work is seasonal with 20 hours a week in January-February, 25 hours a week in March-April and November-December, and 28 hours a week in May-October.
Compensation – $11.50 per hour
HEAD DOCENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for collection security.
- Responsible for security of historic site.
- Responsible for registration and cataloguing of Chester Inn Museum collections.
- Monitors collection conservation needs and keeps Executive Director informed on exhibit and collection condition.
- Responsible for training volunteer docents
- Responsible for coordinating with volunteer docents to create a monthly calendar/schedule for the Chester Inn Museum
- Responsible for appropriately cleaning the artifacts on display
- Responsible for cleaning the public spaces of the museum
- Plans and implements all permanent and temporary exhibits, and interpretation programs in conformance with the Chester Inn Museum mission.
- Responsible for collection research activities.
- Maintains a verifiable collection data base source.
- Provides tours of Chester Inn Museum and, if available the town of Jonesborough.
- Write articles pertaining to Chester Inn Museum exhibits and activities for the Heritage Alliance’s quarterly newsletter The Link
- Write press releases for new exhibits and programs
- Create appropriate posts for the Chester Inn Museum’s Facebook page
- Create appropriate videos for the Chester Inn Museum’s YouTube channel
An advanced degree or course work in museum studies, history, and /or Public History is desirable. Work experience should include museum employment and familiarity with standard museum operation procedures, collection care. Desirable skills: word processing, data base entry, writing, public speaking, grant writing, and teaching skills. Candidate should be self-motivated and creative, able to maintain existing programs as well as conceive, develop, and execute new ones too.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your resume, cover letter, and two letters of reference to Executive Director Anne Mason at email@example.com. Application materials are due by 5:00 pm EST on Thursday, February 17th. For more information, you may email Anne Mason or call the office of the Heritage Alliance at 423-753-9580.