Company Name: Heritage Alliance of Northeast TN & Southwest VA, Jonesborough, TN
Title of Position: Collections Manager and Museum Coordinator
Position Type: Part Time – Up to 28 hours per week, includes some evenings and weekends
Compensation: $12.50 an hour, Vacation Time
Description of Responsibilities: Wide variety of museum-related responsibilities, including, but not limited to:
- exhibition planning and development (research, writing/editing, etc.), building, and installation;
- educational programming for visiting and local children, adults, school groups, and families;
- guiding visitors through downtown Jonesborough on historic tours;
- coordinating with and training volunteers with various backgrounds, skill sets, and interests;
- planning and coordinating community programs and workshops associated with exhibits and town activities;
- facilitating and/or assisting with existing museum programming and exhibitions, and contributing ideas for new initiatives;
- researching and developing program and exhibit related materials (lesson plans, rubrics, publicity items, etc.);
- collaborating with various other like-minded organizations, networks, and groups to create, develop, and facilitate heritage-based educational programming;
- caring for archival collections including proper preservation and display techniques;
- monitoring historic structures for potential maintenance issues and coordinating with appropriate persons to schedule/request maintenance;
- writing press releases for exhibits and exhibit-based programming;
- posting appropriate, museum-related content on Social Media;
- contributing articles to the Heritage Alliance’s quarterly newsletter;
- completing various administrative tasks related to ongoing educational programming;
- planning and implementing one fundraiser a year for the museums;
- assisting with other projects and programs as assigned by the Executive Director
Qualifications: An advanced degree or course work in Museum Studies and/or Public History is desirable. Work experience should include museum employment (at least one year) and familiarity with standard museum operation procedures, particular collection care. Desirable skills: carpentry, word processing, database entry, writing/editing, public speaking, and grant writing.
Required Skills: Work experience should include museum employment (at least one year) and familiarity with standard museum operation procedures, such as exhibit development and collection care. Applicants should possess experience providing educational programming to families and children, especially in a museum setting. A Bachelor’s degree in history, Museum Studies, Education or a related field is required; Master’s degree preferred. The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational and communication skills, as well as strong writing and editing abilities. Applicants should be comfortable executing original historical research based on primary and secondary sources. Proven people and problem solving skills are a must, as is the ability to interact with the public, including public speaking (such as public events, via media outlets, etc.). General computer skills, including database and spreadsheet applications, are a necessity. Familiarity with other programs, such as Canva and/or museum software (Past Perfect, MIMSY, etc.) considered a plus. Carpentry skills desired, but not required.
For a full scope of the position, click HERE.
How to Apply: Email resume, cover letter, and two letters of reference to Anne Mason at email@example.com. Application window closes at 5:00 pm on May 16, 2023.
No phone calls please.
The Heritage Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.